Sunday, September 27, 2009

Witnesses for Advance Directives, Durable Powers of Attorney, etc.

I visited a hospital in OKC today to witness a document for a patient to provide for health care in the event that she cannot speak for herself in the future.  I asked a nurse to act as the second witness and was informed that it was against the law for health providers to witness documents in the hospital.  Of course, it was to no avail to try to convince the nurse that wasn't true.  So, I went an email to the hospital "patient services" department.

Hopefully, this will encourage the hospital to change their  policy.  If I could not have found a visitor to sign, the patient would not have been able to execute a document that would allow her wishes for health care to be known and honored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
"I'd just be the catcher . . . that's the only thing I'd really like to be."